by Leanne Summers
I try not to eat a lot of meat, but recently I have taken a shining to finding lamb dishes, and the other day I went on a splurge to a Moroccan restaurant searching for something new and interesting. There I realised that couscous is a rice substitute that I had overlooked. After seeing that I could combine lamb and couscous together, I thought I’d try this lamb with couscous and apricot salad, which is a really light and fresh lunch that won’t leave you feeling heavy in any way.
If you are a vegetarian, you could also try this pistachio and cranberry couscous with goat’s cheese. Either way, couscous makes a satisfying salad!
As it is equally delicious served warm or cold, it is also ideal for a spring picnic. Just put the lamb in one container and the couscous and apricot salad in another and combine them on arrival!
What we need:
- 600g lamb, cubed or cut into small pieces
- 400g of couscous
- 12 dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon of pressed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 dl of cashew nuts
- 30g raisins
- a handful of chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 pinches of ground pepper
- 2 pinches of salt
- 10 coriander leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick (to garnish)
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
- Fry the lamb in a frying pan in the butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the meat in an oven-safe form and place in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes until ready.
- In a sauce pan, boil the couscous according to the instructions on the package.
- Meanwhile, chop the apricots into small pieces.
- Mix the olive oil with the lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Add the apricots, cashew nuts, raisins and almonds with the lemon juice/olive oil mixture.
- Add the couscous when it is ready. Mix it all carefully. Add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve the couscous salad as the base on a plate and place the lamb on top.
- Sprinkle over the coriander leaves and garnish with the cinnamon stick.
Time needed: 30 minutes
Tags: apricot, butter, cashews, coriander, couscous, lamb, lamb with couscous and apricot salad, lemon juice, quick, raisins, salad